Thursday, September 6, 2007

Second Life

As part of my graduate program I worked quite a bit with virtual worlds. I've researched them and even created an extensive site on Active Worlds. Unfortunately (for me), Second Life seems to be the place where everybody wants to be. So, now I'm trying to learn Second Life.

Both businesses and educational institutions are working franticly to create an online virtual presence. Whether this will turn out to be a long term development or just a fad, I'm still not sure. Some businesses are making money and some schools are creating effective educational content, but most are still trying to find their way. I find myself amongst the second group. I believe that virtual worlds, like Second Life, have tremendous potential, but it will take a totally new approach to both business and education. I need to get this figured out as I may be getting myself into a major Second Life project.

I find that the first thing that I need to do is to get better acquainted with and skilled at functioning in Second Life. I've tried just exploring and trying things out, but I'm really not getting very far. Today, after reading Dr. Z's wiki on Second Life, http://secondlifezeitz.wikispaces.com/, I started researching other resources. I found a great site with tons of tutorials. www.sltutorials.net/ Over the next few weeks, I plan to spend a lot of time there. I'll let you know how things work out.

No comments: